Friday 28 December 2018

Reading in 2018


For the first time I decided to take up the reading challenge on the Goodreads social network. I have managed to complete the challenge, although I felt a bit like cheating because I included some graphic novels in the list.

Be that as it may, here is the list of books.

1. The Metabarons, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Juan Giménez, first part (four of eight books)
A fireworks of ideas, beautifully drawn, a joy to read.
2. The Magic Mountain, Thomas Mann
Huge piece of literature. A bit hard to plough through at times but rewarding in the end.
3. David Weber, Uncompromising Honor
The final chapter in the saga of Honor Harrington. A satisfactory conclusion, and a very enjoyable read.

4. Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
A great insight into the life of one of the most interesting individuals in the world today.
5. Growth of the Soil, Knut Hamsun
Another huge piece of literature. One of the greatest novels of all times. A perfect blend of form and substance
6. Homeland, Forgotten Realms Graphic Novel
A wonderfully drawn episode in the life of Drizzt, one of the most prominent characters in the Forgotten Realms universe, and fantasy genre as a whole.
7. 250 things you should know about writing, Chuck Wendig
A very interesting and readable “how to” book on writing.
8. Hunger, Knut Hamsun
Another masterpiece by Knut Hamsun. A short book but with a massive punch.
9. Tamni Vilajet, izbor jugoslovenskog SF-a
After a long time spent on my shelf I took this collection of SF stories published in former Yugoslavia, and I was delighted to have done so. Some of the stories were surprisingly good, a great collection as a whole
10. Dark Run, Mike Brooks
An enjoyable read. Reminiscent of Firefly series.
11. Jedan pogrešan korak, Marko Popović
A quite good thriller mystery novel by a Serbian author.
12. Supergod, Graphic Novel by Warren Ellis
A rather interesting take on beings with superpowers, poses some intriguing questions-
13. Erlend Loe, Doppler 3
Fantastic little book about a very unusual man, but not so unusual when you start thinking a little more about it.
14. Dark Sky, Mike Brooks
Second part of the Keiko series, not as good as the first one.
15. Ship of Magic, Robin Hobb
16. The Mad Ship, Robin Hobb
17. Ship of Destiny, Robin Hobb
The Liveship trilogy is expertly written and devised story with some great ideas and fantastic characters. Sometimes but very rarely though, it feels too detailed in description and dialogue, but all in all, the series deserves all the praise it has received.
18. The Lathe of Heaven, Ursula LeGuin
I decided to brush up on my reading of Ms. LeGuin’s books. She is probably my favorite author. I read most of her books in translation, and now I want to read them in English. Reading this one has reinforced this intention. The Lathe of Heaven is a masterpiece. LeGuin is so good in describing the human and social aspect of science fiction. A great, great book.
19. Prince of Fools, Mark Lawrence
I started this book by mistake instead of Prince of Thorns, having planned to read the first trilogy by Mark Lawrence. When I realized the mistake, I was so engaged primarily by the characters, that I decided to go through it and I haven’t regretted it. The main protagonist is a self-proclaimed coward but somehow often ends up a hero. Seems farfetched in the long run but Lawrence manages to pull it all the way through this book, and well into the second one. I just want to see if he can do it until the end. And it’s a ton of fun.
20. Gospodin Šapšal, Beba Balašević
A first novel by Ms. Balašević. It is a children’s book but I rather enjoyed it.
21. Kalendar mog detinjstva, Đorđe Balašević
The autobiographical novel by famous Serbian singer-songwriter Đorđe Balašević. It exudes his patented sentimental nostalgia intertwined with a wonderful sense of humor. A book written for his faithful fans.
22. Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia, Greg Rucka, J.G. Jones, Wade Von Grawbadger, Dave Stewart
Bought this as a gift and before packing it I decided to leaf through it. The art was gorgeous and the atmosphere drew me into the book so I ended up reading it all the way to the end... and the end was, well, it felt like someone punched me in the stomach. One of the finest pieces I have read recently

No comments:

Post a Comment